Kindle Unlimited (or KU as we'll call it in this article) is an Amazon program. Readers who subscribe to the service have access to over a million books, audiobooks, and magazines that are enrolled in the program.
The program is a bargain for voracious readers on a budget as they can borrow books and read to their heart's content for the cost of a couple of e-books. Bookworms can borrow up to ten books at a time and, unlike most physical libraries, Kindle Unlimited has no due dates or late fees.
How Do Authors Get Paid?
Authors who have books that are enrolled in KDP Select (which puts their books in KU) are paid by the number of pages read. This is referred to as page reads in most author communities, and it varies from month to month based on the amount of the KDP Select Global Fund.
Authors with the most-read titles in the U.S., U.K., and Germany receive KDP Select All-Star awards, and other bonuses are awarded based on the total page reads during each month, the top most read illustrated kids' books titles and more.
KU or Wide?
You might be thinking, what's the catch, Amazon? Books that are enrolled in Kindle Unlimited can only be sold on Amazon. The alternative to Kindle Unlimited is called “going wide,” and it means your books are available at non-Amazon retailers.
Keep in mind that this only applies to e-books. You're still allowed to publish audio and print versions of your books anywhere you like. That's why you sometimes see paperback-only titles on non-Amazon retailers like Barnes & Noble, Kobo, et cetera.
Tips for Promoting Your KU Books
If you've decided to make the jump into KU, then you'll want to market the books to KU subscribers. Here are some tips from the Novel Publicity marketing team:
- Add the KU logo to your graphics, but be sure to follow Amazon's brand usage guidelines.
- In your CTA (call-to-action), use phrases like “borrow this book and start reading today” or “borrow and binge the whole series now” instead of asking readers to buy the books.
- Remind readers that they can try Kindle Unlimited for FREE with no strings attached by using the following link > https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/hz/subscribe/ku.
Exclusive Benefits for Books Enrolled in KU
If your books are enrolled in KU then you have a couple of other exclusive benefits at your disposal. They are…
- Kindle Countdown Deals – This takes your book from 99¢ to full retail value in a series of price changes automated by Amazon. It allows non-KU readers to get your book at a discounted price which could drive sales.
- Free Book Promotions – As Amazon explains on its site, the free book promotions perk “gives you the possibility to offer your book for free for up to 5 days out of each 90-day KDP Select enrollment period.”
Once your books are in KU, they aren't there forever. The enrollment period, as mentioned above, lasts for 90 days. You can keep your books in or withdraw them, but only at the end of each 90 days enrollment period. It's highly recommended that you read through all of Amazon's guides for the KDP Select program before enrolling your books in KU.
Are your books right for KU? Want to learn more about using KU benefits to stack promotions and drive sales? Do you need to talk it over? The Novel Publicity marketing team is here to help answer those questions. Let's schedule a marketing call today!